latest update controller problems

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
DORN
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

latest update controller problems

Post by DORN »

Hi,

i just installed the latest update and all of my X-52 controller settings are wiped.

When I tried to reset them, it seems like the game is not seeing my X-52 pro. ...even after I selected it under controller type. None of the axis sliders move. and I can't reprogram my buttons. It is like the game is not seeing the X-52 or something.

How do I get things working again?

Thanks!
DORN
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: latest update controller problems

Post by DORN »

Well, I got part of the problem fixed.

I restarted the game and went into Options and Settings before launching. The X-52 controls worked there and I reset them.

1. When I launch in to the game, though, my IDS is stuck on multiplier 4 and I can not move it up or down with the num pad keys.

2. Also, the speed velocity is set at 1000+ kph and I can not get it to reset to zero. How do I do that?

I am going to check the key and button setting assignments.

Any other ideas?

Thank you.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The only ways the controls would have been wiped originally were if the original setting files were deleted for an unnecessary reason (the entire \sw3dg\EvochronLegacy folder was deleted before you ran the installer for example) or the control setup on your system changed before or after the update in a way that lost the original bindings and/or device ID.

For #1, you may have applied the X52 control profile, which will map IDS scaling to one of the device's axis channels. Just unbind the axis channel that has IDS scaling mapped to it if you want to use keys to control it instead.

For #2, I'm not sure what you are describing there. If it's a locked set speed because of the IDS scaling being locked at X4, then the step above will sort that. If the velocity level is stuck at a fixed level, check the axis bindings for throttle to verify it may be mapped to an axis you want or adjust as needed. If throttle is not mapped to an axis and you are asking how to drop it to 0 quickly, use the backspace key.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
DORN
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DORN »

Hi Vice,

I am thoroughly frustrated at the moment. It seems like none of the changes I am making are fixing anything.

I need to start from a total zero reset.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

If you want to post some screenshots of what the axis mapping menu looks like along with the 3 pages of key/button bindings, I can probably help provide some specific guidance.

Otherwise, in general, you may just want to edit each control individually manually. That is, test each axis on your X52, see which indicator moves, then click on that indicator, then select the function you want to map to it. If you see an indicator moving that has a function mapped to it that you -don't- want, click on that indicator and click on 'Clear Axis Control'. Then map buttons as desired.

Lastly, don't forgot to click on 'Save and Exit' and not just the 'X' to close the menu. Your settings may only be saved if you save and exit, otherwise you may just back out of the menu without saving your changes. Not saving your changes can result in nothing changing with your control selections.
StarWraith 3D Games
DORN
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DORN »

Hi Vice,

Thank you for the notes.

I finally got everything fixed somehow, by repeatedly restoring the default settings. I actually don't know what I did to get it working. The strange things happening just gradually began setting to zero and my rebinds began to take effect.

Can you remind me...isn't there a way to copy the saved the control profile. If my memory is right, in EM there were two files???
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes, here is the overview of the setting files:

- keymap8.sw = key and button configuration
- mdeadzone.cfg = mouse deadzone (optional)
- stickdevices.sw = device description list last time game started
- stickt.sw = device axis configuration

The keymap8.sw and stickt.sw files are probably the two you'll be most interested in preserving. But if you plan on changing devices around, including adding more later, it will also be a good idea to keep the stickdevices.sw file as well.

The flight control mode selection is kept in the sw.cfg file, but can be easily changed in the Options menu without having to back up the file itself.
StarWraith 3D Games
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

My PC has been at minimum set up for a month (we're moving :( ) no controls plugged in! I've only been able to do upgrades and start the programme to make sure it works. I use an X52 Pro as well. I'm in the process of getting my playroom back up to speed so I'll check what happens when I plug the stick back in. I also use a couple of Cougar MFDs as well so it'll be interesting to see what happens with them. :)
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Update:

I'd missed a full game update and was still on a beta ... downloaded and installed 1.0528 and when I plugged the stick in, it worked ... added the Cougar MFD one at a time and they worked as well. The only hiccough was keeping an eye on which input device I was checking and refining ... for a while now the stick has been demoted to device 3 :)

One small point though. When I installed the game it came up with an error I've not seen before : about some DarkBasic files being in use and requesting permission to close them. When I OK'ed it, the installation proceeded without a hitch. I thought I'd taken a screenshot the error message but it seems not :-[

:)

EDIT: Spooky!! This post seems to be dated and timed before the proceeding post !
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

For me it shows 11:11pm, which is about 11 hours after 12:33pm which is the timestamp of the previous post.

Glad your controllers worked out well. The game can also adapt to changing device orders so long as the device name descriptions remain the same.
StarWraith 3D Games