Sector Build Limits

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Thomas
Ensign
Ensign

Sector Build Limits

Post by Thomas »

Hi...

I 'm just curious what the build limits are per sector. I seem to have hit a production limit of 10 in Pearl... are there other limits. for example; power supply's, shields, horizontal structures, storage. etc.

There also seems to be some dependency between storage and weapon turrets...

Playing Legacy BTW :cool:
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sector Build Limits

Post by Marvin »

I think that, if you read the chat message carefully, it will indicate that you need to add certain other modules before you can continue to build turrets, shield modules, etc.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Sector Build Limits

Post by Vice »

Yes, certain module types have dependencies to support them:

- Every 2 shield modules above 2 require 1 power module
- Every 5 weapon turrets above 5 require 1 storage module
- Every 2 power modules above 2 requires 1 crew/living module
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sector Build Limits

Post by DaveK »

I see that building regs have survived into the distant future! :D
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sector Build Limits

Post by Marvin »

From post: 188374, Topic: tid=12702, author=DaveK wrote:I see that building regs have survived into the distant future! :D
:cool: At least we don't have to wait around for the inspectors to show up ... or submit our building plans to the local authorities for approval.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sector Build Limits

Post by DaveK »

Perhaps not, but you might come back and find you beloved new city or station gone! The natural assumption is to blame hostiles, but Local Government Officers can be a very harsh breed! Not so much hostile destruction, but Local Authority demolition :P
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sector Build Limits

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Blame the Vogons. (Did I spell that correctly?)
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sector Build Limits

Post by DaveK »

close enough for me, especially since it's anglicised :D
ImageImage
Thomas
Ensign
Ensign

Sector Build Limits

Post by Thomas »

From post: 188372, Topic: tid=12702, author=Vice wrote:Yes, certain module types have dependencies to support them:

Thanks
Kuros
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Sector Build Limits

Post by Kuros »

Vice wrote:Yes, certain module types have dependencies to support them:

It appears this isn't working, or did you remove this? I built 8 shields on the surface of a planet with only one power module that was on the space station.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The system is still in place, so I'd need to know more about the scenario. Was anything else built on the surface of the planet near the shield modules? If the shield modules were spaced out far enough out from each other, the build system would allow them to be placed and operate independently, but they wouldn't be able to offer much protection on their own that way. If neither of those conditions are a factor, please send me your profile saved near that location and I can look into it further.
StarWraith 3D Games
Kuros
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kuros »

Hello Vice, thank you for responding. On the planet there was also a command module built. When I placed the shields I sat in one place and placed them all around me in overhead view. I did move a little bit when I placed one on top of me.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I'd like to review your save game just to be sure (starwraith.com > contact). Also, was this in single player or multiplayer? If MP, which server?
StarWraith 3D Games
Kuros
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kuros »

This was in single player. I'm emailing you my save file.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks, I really had to dig through the game's codebase and my notes to remind myself of the decisions behind those systems and changes that were applied (the changes were originally developed 10 months ago). In short, the system is coded to allow that kind of module construction because cities can be flipped for control, whereas space stations can't. Cities are linked to the in-sector space station command module for their faction control. If none is present, they default to independent.

So if someone wanted to build up a city with ultra strong shield defenses, they can do so, but the benefit can be flipped when the opposing faction destroys their space station and rebuilds their own... the city will then be considered 'conquered' and will operate for the new faction in control.

So in summary, the close proximity binding limits apply exclusively to space station modules while city module designs are more flexible. This can certainly be changed though, if players want similar restrictions placed on cities as well. I will plan on implementing such changes for the next update, since this difference in behavior between the two module systems appears to have caused some confusion.
StarWraith 3D Games
Kuros
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kuros »

Either way is fine with me. I just thought it might be a bug. Thanks for checking. :)
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Some thoughts about realigning module requirements:

Logically: Shield generators require energy sources. In space the source has to be self contained and hence will have a fixed output. More shield generators would therefore need more energy modules. The same line of reasoning could be true for city shields and hence the two should match ... but ... cities could be allowed to access other energy sources, for example geothermal, which is potentially unlimited so one energy module might be sufficient for a city; in which case space stations and cities can be different in terms of energy module needs if desired

Gameplay: Since a city's loyalty is determined by the orbiting station faction what reason (other than the joy of vandalism) would there be to attack a city? Capturing it is effectively impossible whilst the station's Command Module survives and if you destroy the space station Command Module then the city either goes 'free port', ie IND or swaps to your faction's control when you build a new station Command Module. From that point of view, city shields protect from vandals and the occasional bird or 'badly flown ship' strike

The only non-hostile city module destruction I can envisage is if someone wants to extend the city seamlessly and might want to lose a few peripheral modules or reposition some modules or relocate the city to somewhere nearby.

A related question. If I build more than one city on a planet, what determines which is the primary city - in fact do primary cities exist any more or are they all born equal?

There are so many more complicated things to get your head around in this game that I wonder if the difference between cities and station energy module needs really would cause confusion if it was made clear in the instructions?

:)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

DaveK wrote:If I build more than one city on a planet, what determines which is the primary city - in fact do primary cities exist any more or are they all born equal? :)
The first city you build is the primary city. Unless it gets destroyed, at which time the second city takes over ... unless you had three or more cities, at which time I have no idea. As for what you get with the primary city ... the approach boxes always point to the primary city until you get really close to a secondary city.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »