Starting a Quest in Evochron Legacy...

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starting a Quest in Evochron Legacy...

Post by Marvin »

Starting a Quest. The Evochron Legacy quests are a series of stages where the player receives instructions either in the Message Log (Chat) or as an audio message. These instructions can be transmitted via a message buoy, data drive, in the clear (over your comm radio) or while docked at a city or station.

You can start a quest at any time you're in single-player mode. The more complex quests have been scripted by members of the Evochron Legacy community but, for those unfamiliar with how quests progress, it might be a good idea to begin with one of the first two quests.

When beginning a new quest, you start out with a 'Quest Progress' of one (1). The quest progress for each pilot profile is listed under the 'Pilot Statistics' section on the upper-left side of the 'Available Pilot Profiles' menu. Progress is split into two sections: Current Quest / Current Stage in that quest.
If you're returning to a previous quest, the statistics for the corresponding pilot profile will reflect the stage where you last saved the game. For example, if you were doing Quest 2 and had progressed to the fifth stage of the quest, Pilot Statistics would list your quest like this:
Quest Progress: 2/5
Note: Quest progress isn't necessarily linear. Sometimes the quest allows you to make a choice or sets you up to either complete or fail a task. Usually, completing a task will send you to the next stage in the quest while failing the task (or taking a different route) will send you to a branching stage. If that happens, you could, for example, move from stage 12 to stage 100. And, from there, to stage 101 or back to stage 13.

After you've selected and loaded a profile, launch the game in the usual way.
Now enter the Inventory menu (default F3 key) and click on the 'News/Information' option in the 'Additional Options' sub-menu on the center-left side.
From there, click on the 'Quest Menu' button on the bottom-left side.
If you've previously chosen the Alliance faction and you plan to do the initial (default) quest, you should select the first quest: Beginning of a Legacy (Alliance). But, if you've chosen to fly as a Federation pilot, you will probably want to select the second quest on the list: Beginning of a Legacy (Federation). The first quest requires that you dock at Alliance controlled stations, which you cannot do as a Federation pilot.

After you click on your selected quest, information about that quest is displayed above, in the 'Current Quest Details' section. If either you haven't selected a quest or the quest you've selected is the first 'Beginning of a Legacy' quest, all the information will pertain to Quest 1. After you've clicked on another quest, the data will change to reflect the details of your selected quest.
Finally, click on the 'Activate Quest' button at the bottom to start or continue your quest.

Note: Even though the 'Available Pilot Profiles' will reflect your currently selected quest, you must still activate the quest each time you launch the game.

Re-Doing a Quest From the Beginning. If at any time you decide to start over again with a previously played quest, you can reset the quest to Stage 1 by placing the cursor over the listed quest and right-clicking.

Building or Deploying a Module. In some quest scenarios you might be required to build or deploy a module in a specific location. If so, the exact location for the module will be displayed in the upper right corner of the Build console, in green text. Since most modules will be built or deployed at a distance from your ship's location, the X, Y and Z indicators will insure an accurate positioning.
Note: If you've deployed a module but do not receive a follow-on quest message or the waypoint hasn't moved, it's possible you miscalculated the deploy location. Some tasks require the module to be built almost exactly at the location indicated in the message, which is why it's a good idea to get into the habit of using the green X-Y-Z indicators. If the positioning is incorrect, either scuttle the module or, if that isn't possible, exit the game (without saving) and return to try again.

The Quest Waypoint Marker. Most of the time, each stage in the quest will provide you with a purple waypoint marker. The marker indicates where you must next go and, if your destination is within hyper-jump range, you can right-click on the marker and either jump directly to the location or use autopilot if the point is more than one jump away. If your next waypoint is beyond jumping range, you can still find it by using the Quadrant map, right-clicking on the designated (or suspected) star system and zooming in to find the waypoint marker.
Once you're in the same sector as the quest waypoint, the marker will also be visible on your HUD. This can come in handy if the waypoint is so close to another object that right-clicking will set your jump point to the dominant object. For example, if the quest waypoint seen above was very close to the space station, right-clicking would probably set the jump point to the station. After jumping, you would turn your ship to the marker in the HUD and fly to the point manually.
There will be times, though, when the marker is hidden. This usually happens when the quest expects you to search for a location without the assistance of a visible waypoint. In situations like that, the message log (chat window) should offer clues to where to go.

The Timer. Some quests occasionally make use of a timer. The timer normally requires you to complete a specific task or mission within a specified number of minutes or seconds. If you exceed the limit, your follow-on options might differ from those you would've received had you completed the task. Depending on the scenario, the timer will either be hidden from view or it will be displayed in the lower-right corner of the HUD.

Note: If, at some time during the quest, the scenario appears to get stuck, then the culprit might be a hidden timer. As a test, try quick-saving the game (Alt-F9). If the timer is running, the game won't allow you to save and you'll know to wait out the time either by completing contracts in the sector, mining for ore, engaging enemy ships or just hanging around until the time expires.

Quest Messages. Each completed stage of the quest triggers a follow-on stage. Sometimes you'll be required to examine a message buoy (data drive) or shipwreck. Both objects are likely to generate a message of their own, separate from the quest message. If, as you approach the object, you receive a chat message in white or light gray, it will be from the object. Move closer to the quest waypoint to trigger the quest message, which is usually (but not always) purple.
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Spoiler Alert

Post by Rubber Chicken »

So... I just want to make sure I understand what I've read. Is it not possible to complete both Alliance and Federation quests on the same profile?
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spoiler Alert

Post by Marvin »

You can try. The problem is with docking ... a FDN pilot cannot dock at an ALC station ... they won't even let you into the docking bay. And, if the station is heavily guarded, you're likely to get blown up while knocking at the door. Ergo, the only way I can think of to defeat said station is to blow it up and replace it with a station of your own. But beware ... the new station must be in the same location as the old one or the quest might not recognize its location (needed to trigger the follow-on event).
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Spoiler Alert

Post by Rubber Chicken »

I hadn't realized that game-built stations were now player-destructible. :o
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spoiler Alert

Post by Marvin »

Yup. But most default stations have minimal defenses. If you decide to make some star system your home, check out the local stations and upgrade as required.
Zarrakis
Ensign
Ensign

Spoiler Alert

Post by Zarrakis »

I don't want any spoilers but I'm having difficulty trying to find the wormhole in Orion (stage 21 I believe). I am hoping it's not bugged as I've spent hours trying to find this thing...

Join the Madness. Enroll with the Allied Pirates!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spoiler Alert

Post by Marvin »

Stage 21 of which quest?
Zarrakis
Ensign
Ensign

Spoiler Alert

Post by Zarrakis »

Beginning of a Legacy (Alliance) - stage 21

Join the Madness. Enroll with the Allied Pirates!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spoiler Alert

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Yes. In the area. You'll need to perform a proper search pattern. Open your Navigation Console and zoom the map all the way out. Then pick a direction (I usually start by picking north) and jump halfway to the edge of the map. If you don't see what you're looking for, begin a clockwise search with your original location at the center. After the first full circle, jump north again by the same amount. After two or three circles, you should find the wormhole.

Hint: If you find another star system during your search, you're probably heading in the right direction. ;)

[Edited on 1-28-2016 by Marvin]
Noddy
Ensign
Ensign

Spoiler Alert

Post by Noddy »

Hi all,

Evochron nub here,

Am doing the first quest for the alliance (Beginning of a legacy) and am at stage ten. The last message required me to get a shield battery x 5 and fit them and said when I re-entered Pearl sys the quest would re-start. Well I don't know what I am doing wrong but it doesn't appear to have re-started. I have gone into the quest menu and re-activated it and am presented with the last message, i.e. when I come back into the sys with the required shield battery fitted the quest will re-start ? I haven't played the quest for a few weeks and there has been a couple of upgrades so maybe.. Oh ofc I have gone out the sytem and come back in with the quest restarted but still no activity.What do you all think ?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spoiler Alert

Post by Marvin »

Make sure you're in the correct sector in Pearl: 3500, 0, -1800 and that the level 5 shield battery is installed and not just stored in a cargo bay.
Noddy
Ensign
Ensign

Spoiler Alert

Post by Noddy »

Thank you for the reply.

I actually re-started the whole quest before I read the above. The same mission didn't crop up again but I did have to place something precisely in one of the missions which taught me how to use the "other" view. So I learn't something, which is what the early missions are about I suppose :)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spoiler Alert

Post by Marvin »

From post: 186094, Topic: tid=12206, author=Noddy wrote:The same mission didn't crop up again... :)
Possibly, it did. But if you already met the requirements of the stage, the next stage is immediately triggered ... and the chat dialogue scrolls so fast you might not notice.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spoiler Alert

Post by Marvin »

Things that can't be changed in the game without possibly borking the quests ...
  • The number of metal units needed to build a module, especially the command module.
  • The QuestLoctn distance for triggering the follow-on event.
  • The time it takes to recover from events 11 through 14, especially event 11.
More to follow. Maybe.
pilotnewbextraordinaire
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Spoiler Alert

Post by pilotnewbextraordinaire »

A couple of items that I've come across on questing that seem to be hurdles that could be easily mitigated.

Vocabulary: At times it seems that certain vocabulary is used but not defined anywhere at all. A good example would be sub-sector. It should be defined elsewhere if it used in the game. At the very least, it should be in the manual.

Needless travel: I'm not far into the transporter quest but right now, all of the travel back and forth from signal to command just seems pointless and busy work. With the trips to full-fill the surprise needs for resources thrown into the mix, the travel requirements so far for this quest are just mind numbing. What is the point of having a FOB if it's not used as such? If I could program waypoints across the system that the autopilot would follow, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

[Edited on 4-2-2016 by pilotnewbextraordinaire]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spoiler Alert

Post by DaveK »

You can add the locations you need to shuttle between to your Nav Screen Map Log. You can then select them and hit autopilot and go for a coffee - as long as you have enough fuel :)

It's also useful if you find a 100 platinum or 100% metal asteroid so you can find it again! ;)

Or any other interesting thing you stumble across and may want to revisit.

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spoiler Alert

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Space is big. Really, really big. Star Trek compresses weeks and months of travel into a one-hour episode. Ergo, if the quest was a TV show ... well, then it wouldn't be a computer game. As for the Transporter quests, the FOB in Sapphire is used quite often during the investigation of the nearby portal. And sub-sectors are ... well, now we all know that there's only two definitive space series: Trek and it's lesser cousin Star Wars. Trek's navigational terminology is stuck in my head and leaks out automatically when I'm called upon to discuss distances, headings and modes of travel.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spoiler Alert

Post by Marvin »

Introducing a new quest ...

Available for download at SeeJay's website.
BLEVE
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Spoiler Alert

Post by BLEVE »

*** Spoiler Alert*** Cosmic Glitch

I am really enjoying this quest. It's not too taxing on my rapidly aging brain. However I did come across a glitch of my own making. Upon reaching the Rift exit sector, it tells me to build a station.

Problem 1: I have previously visited this sector and have already built a station there.

Problem 2: I no longer have cargo bays full of metal.

So I blew up the station (20 mins) and jumped into Rift, mined the nearby asteroids (5 Mins), jumped back to Exit with engines off. Crawled forward in build mode until Command module turned green (5 Mins), built the module and entered it..... nothing. Slowly realised I've built the station on the wrong side of the gate. @#&$@!)(.

So I blew up the station (20 mins) and jumped into Rift, mined the nearby asteroids (15 mins), jumped back to Exit. Set all to zero, jumped at the gate with engines off. Saved the game at this point. Yes I know...... Crawled towards Gate in build mode till it went red, then backed off and built the command module triggering the quest dialogue.

I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem for new players. It might be better, if it is necessary to build a module in an exact location. Then that location be given in the quest instructions.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spoiler Alert

Post by Marvin »

I assume the station you first built was in a different location because, if it was in the same location, it would trigger the next event without you doing anything new. Unfortunately, there is no way around your dilemma ... the trigger can be set one of two ways: (1) build the station or (2) dock at the station. Either way, the quest engine requires a specific set of coordinates for building and/or docking. Which is why most of the options in the build-deploy-dock category take place in locations outside of gated space.

P.S. As for your technique is finding the sweet spot to build the station, well ... that's what friends (and the U2U) are for. There is no law against new guys asking for help.

[Edited on 5-9-2016 by Marvin]
BLEVE
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Spoiler Alert

Post by BLEVE »

From post: 188186, Topic: tid=12206, author=Marvin wrote:P.S. As for your technique is finding the sweet spot to build the station, well ... that's what friends (and the U2U) are for. There is no law against new guys asking for help.

[Edited on 5-9-2016 by Marvin]
Yes, or in my case, the notes I made in Renegades and Mercenary are coming in very handy.

Although I'm about to go planetside and build. Never done that before. Especially in the precise location required. This should be interesting..... Note to self. Save first. Build second.

I am part way through the 1st part of the quest, and already I have travelled to many exotic places and done some seemingly crazy jumps. As I stated previously, it's an interesting and enjoyable trek across the Evoverse.

[Edited on 10-5-2016 by BLEVE]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spoiler Alert

Post by Marvin »

For building planetside as dictated in a quest:

(1) If it's the planet I'm thinking of, the gravity is really high, making it difficult to dock. But it is possible. If you have problems, U2U me.

(2) Building planetside allows for greater leeway. From my tests I'm guessing anything close is good enough. And, when I mean "close," it's possible you only need to build on the right half of the planet ... but that's just a guess. When I built, I started at the designated location and roamed around until the "frame" turned green ... and then I initiated the build.